The pattern is based on this one.
|Young Officer in a Zebra Coat, calling someone to give an account of his services. Galerie des Modes, 1789. (source)|
|Man's suit, c. 1790- 95. Bunka Gakuen.|
My pattern is roughly based on a couple of the ones from The Cut of Men's Clothes: 1600-1900.
I started by tracing around one of my waistcoat patterns. I moved the side seams further back, took a few measurements, and drew the coat pattern around it.
drawstring jacket, but widened a bit, and with a less pointed elbow. No sense in drafting a whole new shaped sleeve.
It worked better than I expected. The first mockup had a great many fit problems, but they were pretty easy to fix.
Here are three terrible pictures of the second mockup.
|The finished pattern.|
It doesn't stand out very well against the concrete floor.
This denim is really nice because the dye actually goes all the way through, so it won't get pale spots when it wears.
|The brown doesn't look too bad here, but it's a really icky shade in person.|
|I folded the front edge up a bit higher, so it will hide the back edge.|
Before turning them I marked the stitching lines with white basting on the denim layer only. Afterwards I marked those lines again with red basting, going through both layers. In this manner I kept the stitching line visible on the right side of the lining, which will be useful when I sew the sleeves on.
|The sleeve seam from the outside.|
|You can see that I will have to trim a fair amount off of the cuff.|
If my stripey stockings look a little odd here, it's because I am wearing 2 layers of ripped tights over them.
I have to do a challenge piece for the school fashion show. This year the challenge is rope. I have to make an outfit that is at least 80% rope on the outside by March 12th.
I have all the pieces cut out for my Fairytale challenge, but it is highly unlikely that they will be sewn together by the deadline.