|My sketch for the pattern around the hem.|
I stretched the fabric out on a big table, holding the edges down with masking tape, and transferred the pattern on with carbon paper. I turned it over and attached it again, spread cotton quilt batting over it, and muslin over that. I basted all the layers together, with the rows of basting about 5 cm apart. Then I started quilting, and shortly thereafter wondered what the hell I had gotten myself into.
|The hem pattern, it takes up about 1/3 of the petticoat.|
I don't know what I was thinking. It's not even a good quality fabric, just a slubby dupioni that's thinner in some places than others.
|The background behind the fish. It's meant to look like seaweed and bubbles. The yellow dust is the chalk.|
|Drawing on the seaweed lines.|
|The chalk lines, they're a bit hard to see so the light has to be really bright in order to work on these parts.|
|Stitching along the seaweed lines.|
Once I'm finished the fish, seaweed, bubbles, and the swirly borders above and below them, I'll fill in the rest of the petticoat with a large fish scale pattern. I've seen a similar pattern on extant 18th century petticoats(like the one on page 86 of the big KCI book), only they were facing upwards. I don't have documentation for the fish pattern but I don't think fish are implausible. This crazy extant petticoat has lions, horses, trees, deer, birds, and mermaids around it's hem.
Judging from the dates in the sketch book, I started it sometime around April 21st/2012, and this is all I've finished so far.
|3 fish and a bit of background.|
I'll report back once I finish the hem design and start the scale pattern on top.